Monday, August 26, 2013

Charm City Trail Run at Boordy Vineyards Race Recap & Review

Yesterday I ran the Charm City Trail Run at Boordy Vineyards. This 5k included a beautiful twilight course around a vineyard, a cotton t-shirt, a wineglass, and wine, cheese, and grapes at the finish. I've been wanting to do this race for a few years but it always sells out quickly- only 800 runners are permitted. Spectators are encouraged at this race- there was catering, wine tasting/sales, and a band there to entertain before, during, and after the race.

Matthew and I got to the vineyard about 5 pm. We picked up our shirts, bibs, and wine glasses and took them back to the car. Then we headed back to the vineyard and found a place to sit down until the race.

As we are sitting there, I happened to look over and see a former co-worker (Robert) and his girlfriend (Kimberly). What a wonderful surprise :-) We sat with them and chatted about upcoming races until it was time to go to the start.

Matthew and I decided to run this one separately. Since we've both been training a lot, we wanted to see how fast we could go. We probably should have taken this one easy because we have the Dumbo Double Dare this weekend, but we didn't- sometimes runners are stubborn :-)

I lined up towards the back of the pack; Matthew lined up towards the front. I started my ipod, started the Map My Run app, and we were off! I was fiddling with my watch so that started about 10 seconds after the start.

Matthew is in the front in the white shirt; I'm behind him in a pink shirt- looking at my watch. 


I started off with a very easy pace for the first three minutes. The first half mile was around the vines- pretty cool.

Grape vines on the right!

Then we hit the road and a slight hill. I was feeling pretty good so I decided to push it and see how fast I could go. Around mile 1, I looked at my phone and saw I was running about a 10:35 mile/minute- super fast for me. Even though I thought I may puke and the sun was beating down on me, I decided right then that I was going to push this entire race and actually run for time.

At mile 1.5 we hit the turn-around and I was feeling ok- not great, but not as bad as I thought pacing as fast as I was. I love races with turn-arounds- I was able to see Matthew, Robert, and another friend Megan as they were speeding past me. I also caught up with Kimberly around mile 2.5.

After the last huge hill, I knew we only had a half mile to go back around the vineyard. I looked at my watch and tried not to get excited. I just kept saying, "It doesn't matter what the time is, it doesn't matter what the time is." But I was just so pumped to get to the finish line.

Such a beautiful run!

Finally, I could see the finish. I ran at the fastest I think I ever have. After crossing the finish line, I stopped my watch and it said 33:49. My app said 34:05. Either way, I knew I'd pushed the entire way as hard as I could.

Matthew joined me at the finish, we found Robert and Kimberly, and got a glass of wine to celebrate. We listened to the band, got something to eat, and then checked out the official finish times. Matthew finished in 27:22.  I finished in 33:55- a PR by 7 seconds. This is one of the best feelings in the world- if you run, you know what I mean.

This course was beautiful, fast, and the after-party was just awesome. Food, wine, and friends- literally the best way to end a Sunday. I would highly recommend this race. It's also walker and stroller friendly.

Good times!

There was another reason to celebrate this weekend- since January I've lost close to 18 pounds. I wore shorts to the race this weekend. I started running over two years ago and it wasn't until this weekend that I felt confident enough to wear shorts to a race. And let me tell you, shorts are so much cooler (temperature-wise) than capris!

Finally in running SHORTS!

With only two days until our Disney trip, I'll be busy packing and tapering- only two more training runs until the Dumbo Double Dare! Can't wait to share the experience here!

Happy running!

2 comments:

  1. A great article and a great run. Hanging out with Kimmy and you two amazing people made it just that much better! It was great seeing you both. I look forward to more runs and the Dumbo report.

    ReplyDelete